RACE #2 IN THE SERIES
2014 Wild Horse Trail Half Marathon Video
2013 Wild Horse Trail Half Marathon Video
Date: SATURDAY, June 17, 2017
Race Start: Half Marathon: 7:00 am (PST) 10K: 7:20
(Mandatory Race Day Check-in: 5:45 am FOR ALL RACERS!)
(Parking Lot opens at: 5:30pm)
Otay Lake County Park – Boat Launch
2234 Wueste Road
Chula Vista, CA 91915
About This Race:
The Wildhorse Trail Half Marathon and 10K is brought to you by Dirt Devil Racing.com and is the second in the Half Marathon and Progressive Race Series. Being one of four trail half marathons (and probably the friendliest course), Wildhorse promises to deliver the ultimate in a trail running experience. If you plan to do the series, do NOT miss this second race! (If you do NOT plan to do the series … this is still one of the best Half Marathon courses we offer. It sold out last year, and we expect the same this year! The Wild Horse 10K is flat and fast with mostly lake view single track technical trail.
So act fast and don’t delay on registering at ultrasignup.com thru May 25
Registration opens December 20 2016 and closes June 5, 2017 or when it sells out
- $47 Through February 28, 2017
- $55 – Through April 30, 2017
- $59 – Through June 5 or when the race sells out
Half Marathon Pricing:
- $60 – Through February 28, 2017
- $75 – Through April 30, 2017
- $82 – Through June 5 or when race sells out
Click here to download: 2015 Wildhorse Trail Half Marathon map
Click Here to view map of course, elevation and other data on this race course.
- Half Marathon: Situated around Otay Lakes and the USA Olympic Training Center, the Wild Horse Trail Half Marathon traverses some of the most spectacular surroundings that can be found in San Diego County. As the gun goes off, racers will start on the Southwest side of Otay Lakes with sweeping views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. As the race begins, runners can take advantage of the flat, fast start for the first mile following the dirt/gravel road around the lake towards the Olympic Training Center. Once there the trail dips down along the lake edge offering well groomed single track on the way to the first of many footbridges and aid stations. After the first aid station the trail bends around the lake and continues on single track trail right along the lake shore. The trail remains flat and fast winding along the trees until aid station two at mile 3.7 near Otay Lakes Road. Depending on the lake water level runners will either continue along the lake shore or be diverted onto Otay Lakes Road for a brief period of time before continuing around the lake. Runners arrive at the turnaround and 3rd aid station and should pause to take in the view of this inspiring San Diego resource. The views from the third aid station are amazing. On the return trip, runners will be diverted to Upper Otay Lakes (and the smaller of the two) and then return onto the single track going back the way they came. The race finishes back at the Start/Finish area where you will be cheered and greeted by the Dirt Devil Racing staff and crew, in addition to family, spectators, and a Finisher’s Award.
- 10K: With a fast double track trail start runners pass the Olympic Training Center before entering the single track trail that runs along the lake. Run through reeds, over bridges along the lake before turning around at the second aid station….this is a fast, fast 10K!
Post Race Awards Ceremony & Breakfast: The Awards Ceremony IS TO BE HELD ON SITE BETWEEN 10:30 AND 11. Bring a picnic and we’ll supply the beer cause we are sponsored by Mike Hess Brewing Company!
Google Map Here: http://goo.gl/maps/T9HDO
Goodies & Awards: All Half Marathon amd 10K Finishers receive a unique finishers race logo pint glass, race logo technical running shirt and custom race medal.
- Half Marathon: Course cut-off time is 3.5 hours. No Finisher Awards will be given for any racer not completing the course within 3.5 hours. Also, please be sure to click on the new “FAQ” (frequently asked questions) drop-down page on our website for a complete list of “RACE RULES.”
- 10K: Course cut-off is 2 hours. No finisher awards will be given to any racer not completing the course in 2 hours. Also, please be sure to click on the new “FAQ” (frequently asked questions) drop-down page on our website for a complete list of “RACE RULES.”
Race Capacity: 400
- Half Marathon: There will be 5 aid stations along the course that will be well stocked from our Race Sponsors with Electrolyte Replenish Drinks, various Energy Gels, and water. The aid stations will be located at approximately miles 1.2 … 3.6 … 6 … 9.5 … and 11.
- 10K: here will be 3 aid stations along the course that will be well stocked from our Race Sponsors with Electrolyte Replenisher Drinks, various Energy Gels, and water. The aid stations will be located at approximately miles 1.2….3.6 and 5
It is MANDATORY that all runners carry at minimum 12 oz. hand bottle for hydration. This is a trail race and we are trying to eliminate the use of cups at Aid Stations to truly go green. We need you to do your part. We will meet you half way this year … but may go completely green in 2018. So get your practice runs in now!
Trail Map: See above
Directions to Start: The race parking & start area will be at the Boat Launch at Lower Otay Lake. You can use this map (http://bit.ly/mWWf4D) to get directions. It is highly recommended that you use one of the following routes to get to the race start. Taking Olympic Parkway all the way may take an excessive amount of time due to traffic lights. To avoid confusion on race morning, look at a map and plan your route at least a week in advance. There are TWO roads of the exact same name and spelling in the area, and both will be used by those driving to the start (Wueste Road).
- Take Interstate 805
- East on Telegraph Canyon Rd
- Continue East on Otay Lakes Rd
- Right on Lake Crest Drive
- Pass the first turn for Wueste Rd and Make SECOND Left on Wueste Rd
- SR-125 (Toll Road … be sure to have exact change.)
- East on Otay Lakes Rd
- Right on Lake Crest Drive
- Pass the first turn for Wueste Rd and Make SECOND Left on Wueste Rd
Parking: Parking will be available at the race start in the Northwest Boat Launch parking lot only. Space is limited, so carpooling (as always) is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. Additional parking may be found nearby at the Olympic Training Center. Please make prior arrangements, as this is private parking.
Packet Pick-up Location: Packet Pick-up will take place at the starting area. All racers will receive you bib when you check in. Half Marathoners will receive their medal at the finish line (assuming you finish). There is no medal for the 10K. All racers, once finished, will proceed to the check in tent where you will receive your custom, technical fabric race shirt. Half Marathoners will also receive a custom logo pint glass at this time.
MANDATORY Race Day Check-in: All race participants MUST check in on race morning. Failure to check in prior to starting the race will result in automatic disqualification. Check-in begins at 5:45. Please read ALL of the “MANDATORY READ” race day rules prior to race day to ensure you have the best experience possible.
Refund Policy: There are no refunds….no exceptions. Dirt Devil Racing does allow for bib transfers up to 2 weeks prior to the race, however there is a $5 admin fee. You must notify the race director (Drrunco@sdri.net) or your intent to swap the bib. The person taking your bib must also notify the race director (Drrunco@sdri.net) and then go to ultrasignup.com top register. When prompted to pay….DO NOT…proceed to checkout where you will see the balance is $0. If it says anything other than “$0″ get off the site and contact Drrunco@sdri.net. If all necessary information is not provided to the race director the bib will be “disqualified” regardless of who runs wearing it. No bib transfers will be accepted after June 4th, 2016…….no exceptions.
Canceling: If you can no longer run the race and it is too late to receive a refund, you are encouraged to let the Race Director: Krista@SDRi.net know that you are canceling. This will “potentially” allow another Wait Listed racer the opportunity to run if there is enough lead time. Sure you don’t get your money back, because all the race expenses have already been paid out, including the schwag and goodies, porta-potties, permits, insurance, etc that we have purchased on your behalf … but it does net you some great “running karma” for your next successful race!! And who doesn’t need that, right?!!!
Wait List Option: Once the race is sold out …. (and it will) …. you can email the Race Director: Krista@SDRi.net and request to be Wait Listed. This is the information that will be required to complete that process. You will get a “Wait List Confirmed” email once you have successfully completed the process. Further instructions will follow. All fields must be filled out in order for your Wait List to be entered in the system:
Once your completed info is received you will be wait-listed in the order your ‘original’ email request was received. Do NOT send duplicate emails, unless it contains separate racer info. All fields MUST be filled out completely.
Be sure the EMAIL ADDRESS you use in your answers is one you can check 24/7.
As cancellations come in, the next on the Wait List will be EMAILED and offered the chance to call SDRI and pay for the race. Once payment is complete you are in. You will NOT be required to pick up your bib until race morning.
Racer’s First & Last Name:
Racer’s Phone Number:
Racer’s Email (that you can check any day of the week)
Racer’s Birthdate (mm-dd-yy)
Racer’s Age on Race Day:
Racer’s City & State & Zip (Country if non-USA)
Racer’s Pace on Trails at the Half Distance (6-7 min mile/ 8 min mile / 9 min mile/ 10 min mile/ 11+ min mile)
Racer’s Shirt Size (Unisex style) = Small, Medium, Large, XL) *
* Schwag may NOT be available in your size or at all. (Believe it or not, some people actually turn in their bib and drop from the race, but still pick up their shirt and schwag prior to doing so. We try to reorder the Wait List shirts in the size you request, but often there is not enough time to get more shirts prior to the race.) But if we have them on hand, you will get it. Promise!! Sorry, this is one pitfall all Wait-List’ers have to contend with.
Traveling to San Diego for the Wild Horse Half Marathon or 10K?
San Diego has a long list of great attractions and activities for you and your family to enjoy. Just be sure to plan well ahead of time regarding your transportation to/from the race. There is not a great deal of public transportation in this particular race location.
Thank you to our sponsors:
PLEASE NOTE: Some comments listed below are from previous year’s races. Look for the date listed above the comment to see what year and race the commenter is referencing.